Opener, the market leader in light electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft, has announced Helix, its first scalable production vehicle, and has unveiled its new identity.
Now named Pivotal, this step represents the company’s trailblazing influence on the industry and its transition to become a product-delivering entity serving the needs of customers in multiple segments.
Pivotal is renowned for the BlackFly, the first eVTOL of its kind to be sold and delivered to customers.
Built on Pivotal’s fourth-generation eVTOL platform, the Helix is aimed at individuals who want to take to the sky for recreation and short-hop travel.
Like BlackFly, its pre-production predecessor, the Helix offers a distinctive tilt-aircraft architecture, simple user interface, and unmatched safety based on fault tolerance and triple modular redundancy.
In addition, the Helix offers:
- Power and propulsion improvements delivering a more robust operational flight envelope
- Updated digital electronics hardware, enabling new levels of robustness and reliability
- A weight and durability optimized aerostructure exceeding industry best practice safety factors
- A companion smartphone app integrating owner & pilot experience while simplifying pre-flight checks, capturing flight history and managing charging and aircraft service
- A redesigned canopy and flight deck featuring with an integrated display and improvements in comfort and safety
- Enhanced non-flight-cloud connectivity to improve maintenance, vehicle telematics, charging and owner asset management
- A durable livery reducing the effects of weather, age and solar loading while extending the life of the structure and improving pilot comfort
- Product options including a transport trailer, fast charging, aviation or GSM radios, ADS-B, custom liveries, and beacon lights
- Support for future field-replaceable next generation batteries to extend range and endurance
Designed to comply with FAA Part 103 (Ultralight) category in the US, pilots can fly the Helix in Class G airspace over uncongested areas in the daytime and are not required to have a pilot license.
Pivotal customers must complete comprehensive initial and recurrent flight training to support safe operations in all situations, from the everyday to the unexpected.
“With Helix, we become the leading manufacturer of light eVTOL aircraft. Helix presents the next iteration of 10+ years of innovating, testing, and delivering on the promise to give individuals access to small, yet mighty aircraft. Pivotal reflects our mission to transform movement with the power of flight,” said Ken Karklin, CEO of Pivotal. “The new identity shows the versatility of our system architecture and encapsulates both the exhilaration and utility of flight.”